Charles A. Donaldson

From MasonicHistoryWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Charles A. Donaldson, PGM,
Charles A. Donaldson, PGM (From the Michigan Masonic Museum and Library Collection)

Most Worshipful Grand Master, 1926-1927

Charles A. Donaldson was born in Sharpsville, Pennsylvania, on November 25, 1875, and with his parents moved to DeKalb County, Indiana in 1876. When he was eight years old he moved to Edgerton, Ohio, where he resided until 1903, when he moved to Grand Rapids, Michigan. He was educated in the Public School of Edgerton, Ohio, and at Tri-State College in Angola, Indiana.

He engaged in the plate and window glass business, which he learned thoroughly. For thirty years he held a responsible position with one of the largest plate glass concerns in the country.

He was raised as a Master Mason in Edgerton Lodge No. 357 in Edgerton, Ohio on October 5, 1901. He transferred to York Lodge No. 410 in Grand Rapids on May 2, 1910, and immediately took up active work, passing through the line of officers in York Lodge and became its Worshipful Master in 1918. He was elected Grand Marshal of the Grand Lodge, F. &A.M. of Michigan held in the Saginaw on May 26, 1920 and was regularly advanced each year through the line of officers and elected Most Worshipful Grand Master in Kalamazoo on May 26, 1926. He dedicated the Detroit Masonic Temple on Thanksgiving Day, 1926.

He was exalted a Royal Arch Mason in Columbian Chapter No. 132 of Grand Rapids on June 8, 1910. He was knighted in DeMolai Commandery No. 5 of Grand Rapids on January 12, 1912. He received the York Rite Degrees in Tyre Council No. 10 of Grand Rapids on November 25, 1919. He received the Degrees of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, 4° to 32° in DeWitt Clinton Consistory and Coordinate bodies of Grand Rapids on October 18, 1916, and was the Deputy Master of Moriah Grand Lodge of Perfection, Junior Warden of Cyrus Council Princes of Jerusalem and Master of Ceremonies in DeWitt Clinton Consistory.

He was made a Noble of Saladin Temple, in Grand Rapids, on February 21, 1913. He was a member of Grand Rapids Court No. 11, Royal Order of Jesters and a member of St. Vincent Conclave Order of the Red Cross of Constantine.

He died on September 10, 1951. He was at the Clark Memorial home and had been ill for his final few years. Services were held at the Metcalf Chapel in Grand Rapids.

Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
Toolbox