Charles T. Sherman
Most Worshipful Grand Master, 1940-1941
Charles T. Sherman was born on March 25, 1884 in Rochester, New York. At an early age his parents brought him to Toledo, Ohio, where he was educated in the public schools and at the Davis Business College. At the completion of his education, he entered the employ of the Michigan Central Railroad Company at Wagon Works, Ohio. He was successively associated with the Detroit & Toledo Shore Line, Ann Arbor Railroad at Toledo, and the Boyne City, Gaylord and Alpena Railroad. He headed the traffic department of the latter line in 1913 and in 1916 became its general freight and passenger agent. In 1923 he entered private practice before the Interstate Commerce Commission in Washington, D.C., handling compensation claims for short line railroads, which grew out of the Federal Control of railroads during World War I. In June 1928 he accepted the position of Traffic Commissioner of the Lansing Chamber of Commerce, which he continued to hold until 1940.
While in Boyne City, he was active in all civic affairs, and served for two years as a member of the Board of Education. He was also a charter member of the local Rotary Club and occupied the position of Superintendent of the Methodist Sunday School for ten years. Upon coming to Lansing, he became a member of the Traffic Club and served as its President for three years, and for some ten years he was active in the Lions Club. Active in the Michigan Manufacturers Association, he was chairman of its Traffic Committee for eight years. He was a Registered Practitioner of the Interstate Commerce Commission. He served as chairman of the Truck Rate Advisory Committee of the Michigan Public Service Commission and was appointed by that Commission as a member of a statewide committee to represent Michigan shipping interests before the Interstate Commerce Commission.
He was raised as a Master Mason in Boyne City Lodge No. 391 on October 28, 1914. During the years 1917-18-19 he served as Worshipful Master. After taking up residence in Lansing, he became a charter member of Amity Lodge No. 559 in 1930 and in 1931 he served as Master. He was also an honorary member of the other Lansing Lodges: Lansing No. 33, Capitol S.O. No. 66, and Walter French No. 557; and East Lansing Lodge No. 480. He became a member of Boyne City Chapter R.A.M., No. 154 and occupied the High Priest’s Chair during the years 1924-25. He was also a member of the Order of High Priesthood. Other affiliations are: Lansing Council R. & S.M., No. 29; Lansing Commandery K. T., No. 25; DeWitt Clinton Consistory of Grand Rapids and Saladin Shrine Temple of Grand Rapids. In Muskegon on May 23, 1934, he was duly elected Worshipful Grand Marshal of Masons in Michigan. His advance through various stations of the Grand Lodge line brought to light unusual vision and great ability. He was elected Most Worshipful Grand Master of Masons in Michigan in May 1940. He married Bessie Hale Wirick in Toledo on March 28, 1906. They were blessed with a daughter and a son.
He died on July 20, 1970.