Francis M. Dodge
Most Worshipful Grand Master, 1956-1957
Francis M. Dodge was born in Manistee, Michigan on October 2, 1902. He received his early schooling in the grade and high schools of Manistee and received his higher learning in Detroit City Law School, which is now a part of Wayne State University. He graduated in 1932 with an LL.B. degree. He practiced as an attorney and counselor-at-law in Detroit, and was admitted to practice in all Michigan law courts, those of several adjoining states, and also in the Supreme Court of the United States of America. He was also a member of Delta Theta Phi.
He was raised as a Master Mason on December 15, 1936 in Loyalty Lodge No. 488. In 1945 he served with distinction as Worshipful Master of his Mother Lodge. He also served Loyalty on the Board of Directors of the Loyalty Temple Association. It was largely through his efforts that the Loyalty Temple was saved from foreclosure. The Temple was later completely paid for. In 1947 the Grand Lodge formed the Board of General Purposes. Brother Dodge was named its first President. He served as a member continuously since its inception. He personally instituted much of the successful legislation, which was accepted by Grand Lodge, including a provision that created a reserve fund and a $2 Masonic Home assessment. Always interested in the youth of our state, it was his legislation when adopted by Grand Lodge that permitted the Rainbow Girls and Job’s Daughters to meet in Michigan Masonic Lodge rooms. He was a member of Loyalty Chapter No. 165 R.A.M., Monroe Council No. 1, R. & S.M., Detroit Commandery No. 1, K.T., Detroit Consistory, and Moslem Temple Shrine. He was also an honorary member of Union Lodge of Strict Observance No. 3, Olive Branch Lodge No. 542, and Tyrian Lodge No. 500.
He was duly elected Most Worshipful Grand Master in May 1956.
He was married on January 19, 1934 to Rita B. Codling.
He died on May 1, 1993.