George C. Munro
Most Worshipful Grand Master 1856
George C. Munro was born at Elbridge, Onondaga County, in New York on January 22, 1814. He came to Michigan and settled at Jonesville in 1834. Brother Munro engaged in trade with the Indians until 1840. Soon after coming to Michigan, he was commissioned as Colonel of militia, and afterwards to Brigadier General. He was for many years a prominent merchant in the village where he lived. He was a senior partner in the firm of Munro & Lewis. He was widely known outside his own community, being one of the prominent public men of southern Michigan. He was the Democratic candidate for Lieutenant Governor in 1858. He was a loyal and patriotic war democrat, and was active in raising volunteers for the Union Army.
He was interested in the development of agriculture, and was active in helping to organize the county agricultural society and was for a time its president. In 1854 he was president of the State Agricultural Society, and at his death was the oldest living ex-president thereof.
Brother Munro’s Masonic activity commenced in early life and continued up to his death. He was raised as a Master Mason in Lafayette Lodge, No. 16, at Jonesville, on July 17, 1848, and in 1851 was elected Worshipful Master. He held that position for ten years. In 1852 he was elected Junior Grand Warden. In 1853 he was elected to be Senior Grand Warden, and in 1854 Deputy Grand Master. In 1856 he was elected to become Most Worshipful Grand Master.
He devoted much of his active life to the institution of Masonry, and for many years was among the best authorities upon Masonic jurisprudence in Michigan.
He died at his home in Jonesville, on August 16, 1883, after an illness of several months.