George W. Graves
Most Worshipful Grand Master, 1927-1928
George William Graves was born in Buffalo, in Erie County, New York on March 29, 1876. His mother passed away when he was only fourteen years old and his father died the year after. He obtained his early education in the public and high schools of Buffalo. Later, he entered Buffalo Preparatory College from which he graduated with degrees in architecture and in engineering. In 1906 he was placed in charge of the architectural department of the American Radiator Company in Chicago. He lived there for two years. Afterward, he moved to Detroit where he was engaged for nearly twenty years in an architectural and engineering practice.
In 1909, he was raised as a Master Mason in City of the Straits Lodge, No. 452 F. & A.M. in Detroit. He was appointed an Alternate Steward, and by regular and yearly advancement he became Senior Warden. On May 18, 1914 Brother Graves married Alma Evelyn Riger. In December, he was elected to be the seventh Worshipful Master of City of the Straits Lodge, No. 452 F. & A.M. Brother Graves was a member of King Cyrus Chapter No. 133 R.A.M., and having been exalted a Royal Arch Mason on June 17, 1913. He was Knighted in Damascus Commandery No. 42 Knights Templar of Detroit, on February 9, 1914 and elected to the office of Junior Warden on April 3, 1916, and advanced each year to the line of offices and elected Eminent Commander on April 7, 1919. He received the York Rite Degrees in Monroe Council No. 1, R. & S.M., on February 24, 1927. He was Senior Warden of Carson Council, Princes of Jerusalem. He was a Presiding Grand Officer and originator of the Past Masters’ Association of the United States, Sublime Masters of the Luminous Circle, and a member of Temple Court No. 1, Valley of Detroit, an association composed exclusively of Past Masters of Masonic Lodges. He was an honorary member of twelve lodges. He was also an honorary member of the Wayfarers Club of non-affiliated Masons in Detroit. He was the general Chairman and originator of the Voluntary Contribution, Michigan Masonic Christmas Fund for dependent Masons, Widows and Orphans, and was President in 1915 of the Wayne County Masters Association. He was also made a Noble of Moslem Temple A.A.O.N.M.S. of Detroit on February 2, 1917, and was a member of Moslem Temple, Caravan Shrine Club of Detroit. He was a member of and Past M.P. Sovereign of St. Clements Conclave No. 39, Imperial Ecclesiastical and Military Order of the Red Cross of Constantine, Valley of Detroit; a member of Kilwinning Chapter No. 380, O.E.S., and an honorary member of Highland Park Chapter, No. 440, O.E.S. in Highland Park, Michigan. He served as the Master of Ceremonies at the dedication of the Detroit Masonic Temple on Thanksgiving Day.
He was introduced into the official family of the Grand Lodge, when he was elected Worshipful Junior Grand Deacon in Grand Rapids on May 23, 1922. He was regularly advanced in the line of Grand Lodge Officers and was elected Most Worshipful Grand Master on May 25, 1927. He was President of the Board of Control of the Michigan Grand Lodge Masonic Home.
He died on October 29, 1937.