Glenn L. Alt
Most Worshipful Grand Master, 1962-1963
Glenn L. Alt was born in Denton, Doniphan County, Kansas, on March 24, 1895. He received his elementary school education in Denton and graduated from the Troy Kansas High School in 1912, completing simultaneously college preparatory, business, and normal training courses. He received his Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering majoring in both Railroad and in Structural Engineering in 1916. He received a professional degree in Civil Engineering in 1951.
His first job was with the American Bridge Company in Toledo, Ohio. In 1918 he began his long and successful career in education by accepting a vacancy on the teaching staff of the Department of Civil Engineering at the University of Michigan. In forty-four years there was an Instructor, Assistant Professor, Associate Professor and Professor of Civil Engineering. He served as Chief Marshal of University Commencements for twenty years and he was Chairman of the Engineering College Scholarship Committee, for four years. He was an Advisor for the Construction Option in Civil Engineering. He received many engineering honors. He was both a Tau Beta Pi and a Theta Tau and was a member of the Ann Arbor Engineers’ Club, Michigan Engineering Society, American Society of Civil Engineers, American Society of Engineering Education, and the Michigan Society of Professional Engineers.
He married Viola L. Feas on February 18, 1919. They were blessed with a son and a daughter. He also served as an alderman on the Ann Arbor City Council and four years as President of the Council and three years as a Director of the Chamber of Commerce.
He was raised as a Master Mason in Golden Rule Lodge No. 159 in November 1924. He served in the official line of the lodge and became Worshipful Master in 1932. He became a member of the Board of General Purposes of the Grand Lodge and was President of the Board in 1949. He served the Board for nine years. He, also, served on Golden Rule’s Degree Team and was for some years, Treasurer of the Ann Arbor Masonic Temple Association. He received the Degrees and Orders on February 1956, in Washtenaw Chapter No. 6, R.A.M.; Ann Arbor Council No. 86, R. & S.M. in February, 1957; Ann Arbor Commandery No. 13, K.T. during October, 1957; Detroit Consistory, A. & A.S.R. in April, 1956; Zal Gaz Grotto, 1957; Moslem Shrine, 1962; and served as Patron of Ann Arbor Chapter No. 122, O.E.S. in 1929-30.
He was elected Grand Marshal of the Grand Lodge, F. & A.M., at the Annual Communication in Detroit on May 24, 1956, and became Most Worshipful Grand Master in Grand Rapids on May 23, 1962. There were 175,000 Masons in Michigan during his term of office.
He died on December 17, 1971.