Harvey A. Sherman
Most Worshipful Grand Master, 1935-1936
Harvey Andrew Sherman was born on July 21, 1867 in Kalamazoo, Michigan. He moved with his parents to Traverse City, Michigan, in 1871 and there received his Public School education. In 1886 the family moved to Grand Rapids where Harvey worked in a grocery store and at painting until 1888 when he began the study of stenography. He began the practice of the profession of verbatim shorthand reporting in September 1889. He had wide experience in reporting all kinds of meetings and conventions in Michigan and in surrounding states, and in the Michigan Senate and the courts of Michigan. In 1897 he was made stenographer to the Governor Pingree and was later, by resolution of the State Senate, appointed one of its official stenographers and reported the debates of a Special Session of 1898, which dealt with the equalization of taxes in the State.
Upon the declaration of war with Spain in 1898, he accompanied Governor Pingree to the Military Camp at Island Lake and was the Acting Military Secretary of the Governor throughout the War. He was elected Secretary of the Republican State Central Committee and served in that capacity two years. In 1899, he returned to the Governor’s office where he remained until March of that year, when he was appointed Official Stenographer of the Thirty-sixth Judicial Circuit of Michigan which position he held for thirty-six years.
He was raised as a Master Mason in Paw Paw Lodge No. 25 on October 6, 1903. After passing all the chairs, he was elected Worshipful Master for the year 1911. R.W. Lou B. Winsor, Grand Secretary, appointed him Official Stenographer of the Grand Lodge. He served in that capacity from 1913-1929.
He was also a member of Paw Paw Chapter No. 34, R.A.M.; Lawrence Council No. 43, R. & S.M.; DeWitt Clinton Consistory of the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite, of the Valley of Grand Rapids; Peninsular Commandery No. 8, Knights Templar, of Kalamazoo; Saladin Temple, Grand Rapids; Paw Paw Chapter No. 257 O.E.S. of which he was a Past Patron; Order of the White Shrine of Jerusalem No. 18 in Kalamazoo. He was the Representative of the Grand Lodge of Switzerland near the Grand Lodge of Michigan. He was elected Grand Marshal in May 1929, and was advanced in the regular succession in the line of Grand Lodge officers. He was elected Most Worshipful Grand Master of Masons in Michigan on May 29, 1935. He was a resident of Cassopolis.
He died on October 10, 1949.