Howard L. Taylor
Most Worshipful Grand Master, 1954-1955
Howard L. Taylor was born on December 9, 1900 in Grayling, Michigan. He moved to Flint at an early age with his family and attended Flint schools. He enrolled as a student in Flint Central High School and became a good basketball player and participated in the high vault. He was a regular center on Central High’s Basketball Team in 1917 and in 1918. In the pole vault he hit nine foot three inches, which stood as a City junior high track record for many, many years. In 1919 he transferred to Ferris Institute in Big Rapids, Michigan, and returned to Central High in 1920. Following graduation of high school he attended General Motors Institute. Here he also participated in sports, and played on the Flint YMCA team and squads in the Factory League. He paced the Y quintet to a state championship; beating the Detroit Y team in 1924. He went on to become a member of the Buick Flyers, a professional team, in 1925 and traveled extensively throughout the United States. Following acceptance of a position with the Buick Motor Division of the General Motors Corporation, he made his home in Flint. On July 16, 1921 he married Louise M. Anderson. They were blessed with one daughter.
He was raised as a Master Mason on August 29, 1932 in Genesee Lodge No. 174. Activity lead him from office to office and in 1944 he presided as Worshipful Master of his Mother Lodge. Taking a deep interest in all things Masonic, he sought knowledge of the ritualistic embellishments offered by such York Rite Bodies as Washington Chapter No. 15, R.A.M.; Flint Council No. 56, R. & S.M.; and Genesee Valley Commandery No. 15, K.T. He next became a member of the Coordinate Bodies of the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite of the Valley of Bay City, and traveled the hot sands of the desert in Elf Khurafeh Temple, A.A.O.N.M.S., at Saginaw. For services rendered he was also named to receive the Red Cross of Constantine in St. Martin Conclave No. 59. He was also a member of the Pilgrim Chapter, Order of the Eastern Star of Flint, and held the title of Past Patron.
He was duly elected Most Worshipful Grand Master in May 1954.
There were 170,000 Masons in Michigan during his term of office.
He died on October 19, 1988.