Jeremiah Moors

From MasonicHistoryWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Jeremiah Moors, PGM,
Jeremiah Moors, PGM (From the Michigan Masonic Museum and Library Collection)

Most Worshipful Grand Master 1849-1850

Born August 2, 1794 in Hancock, New Hampshire. The son of Timothy and Sybil Moors.

Jeremiah Moors came from New Hampshire to Western New York. From there he came to Michigan. He was initiated into Masonry in Zion Lodge, Detroit, in the year 1819. The following year he visited Rochester, New York and there learned the work and lectures. He returned to Detroit in 1831. At that time, he gave much attention to disseminating the work in which he had been instructed. The ritual was very similar to what is in use today. He was the Worshipful Master for Detroit Lodge, No. 337, (now No. 2) and was the Worshipful Master thereof when work was suspended in 1829. We find him among those who organized the first Grand Lodge of Michigan in 1826, and General Lewis Cass, the first Grand Master, appointed him Senior Grand Deacon. He remained an active member of this Grand Lodge until the “lights went out” in 1829. When the anti-Masonic excitement of those early years had died out and the fires were re-kindled upon the altars of Masonry, we again find him in the Worshipful Master’s chair in Detroit Lodge and that existed from 1841 to 1844, being elected Grand Visitor and Lecturer at the June meeting in 1844.

He was an active member of the present Grand Lodge from the time of its organization, serving in various official positions, and nearly always being on some of the most important working committees, and in 1849 he was elected Most Worshipful Grand Master, and re-elected in 1850. He served the Grand Lodge with marked ability and retired from that exalted office with the well-earned esteem and affection of his co-workers.

He was an Architect by profession, being employed by the U.S. Government in the erection of the old arsenal at Detroit in 1828, and in 1833 in the erection of the arsenal at Dearborn, and later as Chief Overseer of the construction of Fort Wayne, and Fort Montgomery in 1837. He died on July 6, 1854, after only a few hours illness.

Shortly after his term as Grand Master, he served as Grand High Priest of the Grand Chapter of Royal Arch Masons of Michigan 1852.

Personal tools