Most Worshipful Grand Master 1844, 1845
John Mullett was born in the state of Vermont in the latter part of the 1700’s. In early life he left the green hills of his native state and went to the western part of New York, then regarded as the extreme west. He was made a Mason in Western Star Lodge, No. 239, in Buffalo, N.Y. sometime in 1816. Soon afterwards, he journeyed west to Michigan.
On September 5, 1821, The Grand Lodge of New York granted to John Mullett and others a warrant for holding a Lodge in the City of Detroit, Territory of Michigan, by name of Detroit Lodge, No. 337 (now No.2). He was the first Worshipful Master of this Lodge, serving two years. History shows him to have been one of the most active Masonic workers of his day, and the honors that came to him in later years conclusively show that the fraternity duly appreciated his labors. He held no official position in the first Grand Lodge that had an existence from 1826 to 1929, but was a prominent and influential member of the Grand Lodge of 1841-4, and was elected its Most Worshipful Grand Master at the annual meeting in 1844. On the dissolution of that body and the organization of the present Grand Lodge on September 7, 1844, he was elected its first Most Worshipful Grand Master and was installed into that office by Past Grand Master General Lewis Cass.
He was re-elected the following year.
He was also an active worker in York Rite Masonry. In 1848 he was high Priest of Monroe Chapter No. 1 of Detroit, and participated in the convention that organized the Grand Chapter of Michigan. He was elected the Grand Scribe at the Chapter meeting, and he was a constant attendant and an active worker in the meetings of the Grand Body for several years.
Brother Mullett was a surveyor by occupation, and at one time held the position of country surveyor for Wayne County.
He died on January 15, 1862.