Most Worshipful Grand Master, 1905 - 1906
John Rowson was born in Port Hope, Ontario, on May 24, 1855. He was married in 1877 and came to Grand Rapids in 1880. He engaged for many years in the business of Contractor and Builder with his brother, James Rowson, and later followed the business of an Insurance Adjuster.
He was also prominent in the civic life of the city, being a member of the Board of Education for many years and twice its President. He also served as a member of the Board of Public Works and the Board of Assessors.
He was raised as a Master Mason in Valley City Lodge No. 86 in Grand Rapids Michigan on June 10, 1887 and he served as Worshipful Master in 1892-93-94 and 1895. He was a member of Grand Rapids Chapter of Royal Arch Masons and of DeMolai Commandery No. 5, Knights Templar and served as Eminent Commander in 1901. He was also a member of DeWitt Clinton Consistory and subordinate bodies of the Scottish Rite, having received the Degrees from the fourth to fourteenth, on February 20, 1894, the fifteenth to eighteenth, on October 19, 1894 and the nineteenth to thirty-second on October 20, 1894. He served as Commander-in-Chief in 1909, 1910 and 1911. He was Coroneted a Thirty-third Degree Mason on September 18, 1906. He became a member of Saladin Temple A.A.O.N.M.S., on December 8, 1892 and served as Potentate in 1902, 1903 and 1904. He was a member of Oriental Chapter No. 32, Order of the Eastern Star and served as Worthy Patron and afterward as Worthy Patron of the Grand Chapter of Michigan. He was a member of Palestine Shrine No. 1, White Shrine of Jerusalem and served as Supreme Chancellor of the Order. In the Grand Lodge F. & A. M., of the State of Michigan he was elected Grand Marshal in 1899 and was regularly promoted each year and became Most Worshipful Grand Master in 1905. He was also the Grand Representative of the Grand Lodge of Canada near the Grand Lodge of Michigan.
He died on April 26. 1927.