Most Worshipful Grand Master 1841
Leonard Weed was the only Grand Master who was not subsequently elected Grand Master of the present Grand Lodge. This early body never received recognition from other Grand Lodges.
Little is known of Brother Weed’s early life. He came from New York to Michigan, and settled in the village of Auburn in Oakland County. He was a blacksmith and worked at his trade in that village. He was Territorial Justice of the Peace, and Postmaster at Auburn for eight or ten years under Presidents Jackson and Van Buren. He is said to have been married four times. He was a good man and much respected in the community where he lived.
He was one of the pioneers in Michigan Masonry. He was an early member of Oakland Lodge No. 343, which was chartered by the Grand Lodge of New York on March 7, 1822. This Lodge held its meetings in his house, and he was for some time its Worshipful Master. A lot in the village of Auburn was deeded by him to Lewis Cass as Grand Master, and to his successors in office, for the use and benefit of the Masons of Auburn.
He assisted in the formation of the first Grand Lodge of Michigan in 1826, and was elected the first Junior Grand Warden. He appears to have been an active and influential member of that Grand Body, serving on important committees, and in 1827 he was appointed by General Cass as Grand Steward of Charity.
During the eleven of twelve years of Masonic inactivity in Michigan we have no record of Brother Weed, but when it was decided to again resume labor in the deserted quarries we find him “the chief among his equals,” a zealous and active worker. When it was decided to reorganize the Grand Lodge in 1841, he was elected Deputy Grand Master, but Brother Levi Cook, who had been elected Grand Master, declined to be installed. The duties of the Grand Master’s Office fell to Brother Weed. He was elected and installed Most Worshipful Grand Master, and served as such for one year. The only record we are able to find concerning him after that date concerns his presence at the second annual meeting of the Grand Lodge in 1845 when he was elected Grand Sword Bearer. On June 16, 1848 he was made an honorary member of Pontiac Lodge No. 21, and died fourteen days later on June 30, 1848.
He is buried in Aaron Webster Cemetery in Auburn Hills, MI.