Lucian E. Wood
Most Worshipful Grand Master, 1900
Lucian Ely Wood was born at Flourfield, in Kalamazoo County, on October 5, 1852. His parents came from New York State. He secured a common school education in the district school and then attended a private school at Niles, after which he taught school in 1872 and 1874. From 1874 to 1876 he engaged in farm work, but began working in the state Fish Hatchery at Crystal Springs campground. In 1881 he became assistant tie inspector of the Michigan Central Railroad and later on became chief inspector, continuing in that position until 1894, when he settled in Niles and opened a real estate and insurance office. He was President of the Niles Steel Tank Co. and Vice-President of the Turner Oil Filter Co. He was a large real estate owner. He represented Cass County in the State Legislature in 1894-95. Brother Wood married Miss Alice Walter on November 11, 1874. They had two sons who became 32° Masons.
He was raised as a Master Mason in Pokagon Lodge No. 136 in 1874. He was Worshipful Master in 1885-86-87-92 and 1893. He was made a Royal Arch Mason in St. Joseph Valley, Chapter No. 2 on February 24, 1881, and afterwards served as High Priest. He was made a Royal and Select Master in Niles Council No. 19, on June 17, 1884. He was made a Knight Templar in Niles Commandery No. 12, on June 24, 1881, and afterward served as Eminent Commander thereof. He received the degrees of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite in DeWitt Clinton Consistory and Co-ordinate bodies at Grand Rapids, Michigan on February 18-20, 1890, and served as Junior Warden of Cyrus Council P. of J. for several years. He was Coroneted a 33° Mason in Providence, Rhode Island, on September 16, 1902. He was elected Most Worshipful Grand Master of the Grand Lodge F. & A. M. of Michigan in 1900.
He was long identified with the Michigan Masonic Home, having been a member of the Board of Control from 1907 until his death on June 5, 1916.