Morgan J. Smead
The One Hundredth
Most Worshipful Grand Master, 1950-1951
Morgan J. Smead was born in Pavilion Township, in Genesee County, New York. Dr. Smead, was a graduate of the Veterinary College of the University of Toronto, and held degrees of Bachelor and Doctor of Veterinary Science. He married his wife Alice in Port Huron on December 21, 1909. He practiced his profession for nearly 40 years. He retired from Parke, Davis & Company in 1949. Among his professional activities he was a past president of the Michigan Veterinary Association and a member of the American Veterinary Association.
He had the opportunity in 1910 to treat horses on Dromore Farm, owned by Gordon Moore, a Detroiter, and the home of three world’s champions. It was here that Dr. Smead came to know some of the most famous horsemen of the period. Just before the outbreak of World War I, Dr. Smead moved to Rochester to join the forces of Parke-Davis as an assistant superintendent of the biological farm. During his 35 years there in therapy work he probably immunized more animals and was instrumental in the production of more antitoxin and antiserums than any one individual in the world.
He moved to Rochester, Michigan and was raised as a Master Mason on November 30, 1915, in Rochester Lodge No. 5. He was its Worshipful Master for two terms in 1919 and in 1920. He was exalted to the Royal Arch Degree on May 24, 1916 by Rochester Chapter No. 137 and was the first Royal Arch district deputy for the 12th Capitular district. He served as High Priest in 1926. Dr. Smead belonged to Pontiac Council No. 3. In November 1918, Dr. Smead joined the Detroit Consistory and Moslem Temple and in March 1928, became a member of Romeo Commandery No. 6. After his induction into Rochester Chapter No. 165, O.E.S., he served as Worthy Patron in 1918, 1919 and 1920. Because of his outstanding contributions to Masonry, he was made an honorary member of Pontiac Lodge No. 21, Birmingham Lodge No. 44, Orion Lodge No. 46, Ferndale Lodge No. 506, Roosevelt Lodge No. 510, and Brotherhood Lodge No. 561.
He was elected the one hundredth Most Worshipful Grand Master of Masons in Michigan on May 24, 1950 in Grand Rapids, MI. There were 157,000 Masons in Michigan during his term of office.
He died on April 3, 1962.