Newton S. Bacon
Most Worshipful Grand Master, 1963-1964
Newton S. Bacon was born in Concord, Michigan on January 19, 1905 and attended elementary and high schools there. He graduated from the high school in 1921 at 16. He entered Western State Normal School, which is now known as Western Michigan University in the fall of 1921. He completed two years of college, and then worked for several years for the Michigan Central Railroad. He returned to Western Michigan in 1925, and received his Bachelor of Science degree in 1927. After attending summer school for four years at the University of Michigan, he was awarded his Master of Science Degree. His first teaching assignment was in Lawrence, Michigan. His final year at Lawrence was spent as the principal of the high school. In 1930 he moved to Niles, where for the next 17 years he taught chemistry and mathematics at their high school. In 1947 he became associated with the Lightner Printing Company of South Bend, Indiana. He was a manager of that Company. He was a Charter Member of the South Bend Chapter of the International Club of Printing House Craftsmen. He was a member of the South Bend Exchange Club, and was also a Past President of the Niles Toastmasters’ Club. He served two three-year terms on the Board of Elders of the First Presbyterian Church of Niles.
On March 23, 1929 in Lawrence, he married Myrtle St. Pierre. They were blessed with one daughter. On February 5, 1930 he was raised as a Master Mason in Rising Sun Lodge No. 119 in Lawrence. He transferred his membership to St. Joseph Valley Lodge No. 4. He became its Worshipful Master in 1940. In 1936 he was exalted in St. Joseph Valley Chapter No. 2, R.A.M., serving as High Priest in 1942. He was Knighted in Niles Commandery No. 12, K.T., in 1945 and joined Saladin Temple, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, in 1947. He also was a member of the South Bend Shrine Club and served five years as its secretary. He was also a member of the Niles Buchanan Shrine Club.
In 1949-1950 he was a District Deputy Instructor of District No. 10. He joined DeWitt Clinton Consistory, A. & A.S.R., in the Valley of Grand Rapids in 1957, and was elected Grand Marshal in May 1957 in Detroit. He regularly advanced through the chairs in the Grand line and on May 29, 1963 was elected as Most Worshipful Grand Master.
He served on the Rainbow Girls Advisory Board and helped to reactivate the Niles Chapter of DeMolay. In March 1962 he became an honorary member of the DeMolay Legion of Honor. He was a member of the Niles Chapter No. 332, O.E.S.
He died on December 7, 1987.