Orie E. Brown
Most Worshipful Grand Master, 1942-1943
Orie Elmore Brown was born on September 26, 1875 in Missouri Valley Iowa. The family moved to Marquette in May of 1890. He received his early education there and graduated from Marquette high school in 1895. He secured his higher education in the literary department of the University of Michigan. After graduation he entered the employ of the Duluth, South Shore and Atlantic railroad, where he filled several minor positions. In 1889 he went to Houghton where he became a journalist and worked in that capacity for two years at The Daily Mining Journal. Later he joined the staff of the Daily Mining Gazette of Houghton. He returned to Marquette and the employ of the railroad company in 1902. In 1906 he became associated with the First National Bank of Marquette and in time became assistant cashier. Later, he became cashier of the Gwinn State Savings Bank and became cashier of the First National Bank of Alger in Munising in 1923. He retired from his profession at the end of 1940.
He was raised as a Master Mason in Marquette Lodge No. 101 on May 16, 1899, and served as Worshipful Master in 1906-07. He also served this Lodge as Secretary from 1912-1916. Upon locating in Munising he transferred his membership to Grand Island Lodge No. 422. He was a life member of Grand Island Lodge and was a plural member of Marquette Lodge. He also held membership in Marquette Chapter No. 43, R.A.M., Francis M. Moore Consistory, and Ahmed Temple, A.A.O.N.M.S. For long and distinguished service to Scottish Rite Masonry, having served from 1912 to 1924 as Sovereign Prince of Lake Superior Council, Princes of Jerusalem, he was, in 1924, Coroneted a 33rd degree Mason in Boston, Massachusetts.
On October 8, 1902 he married Margie B. Everett. They were blessed with two daughters.
In Traverse City on May 27, 1936, he was elected to the Office of Grand Marshal of the Grand Lodge, and by regular graduations was advanced each year. He was installed as Most Worshipful Grand Master of Masons in Michigan in 1942. There were 111,000 Masons in Michigan during his term of office.
He was one of the organizers and secretary, for many years, of the Munising development Club. He also was a charter member, past president and secretary of the Munising Rotary Club. For several years he was chairman of the Alger County Road Commission. For a number of years he served as Chairman of the Alger County Chapter of the American Red Cross.
He died on June 19, 1955.