Raymond Mills Douglas
Most Worshipful Grand Master, 1957-1958
Raymond Mills Douglas was born on July 6, 1897 in Bridgewater, South Dakota. He and his brother Rex were raised in Indiana. After attending public and high schools in that state, Brother Douglas majored in business and industrial engineering at the University of Cincinnati until 1917 when he enlisted in the Army Air Corps. After the war, he returned to his work and study in Cincinnati and Dayton until ill health forced him to abruptly seek a change. His doctors advised him to seek a better climate, so he boarded a ship for the Philippines. In Manila he completed his education at the University of the Philippines. He was raised as a Master Mason on August 18, 1925 in Manila Lodge No. 1. He had also returned to the Air Corps during this period and became Supervisor of Construction of Air Landing Fields and Military Installations of Ordnance Material. In August 1927 he became a member of the Manila Lodge of Perfection, Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite, then under the Supreme Council, 33°, of the Southern Jurisdiction of the United States. He returned to the U.S. in January 1928, after leaving the Air Corps with an honorable discharge. He then worked in supervisory capacities in automotive engineering and design with General Motors, Studebaker, Continental Motors and the Bendix Aviation Corporation. Meanwhile, in 1931 he transferred his Masonic Membership to Portage Lodge No. 675 in South Bend, Indiana, and in 1933 transferred again to Tyrian Lodge No. 718 in Elkhart, Indiana, the Lodge where his brother had served as Worshipful Master. Becoming active, he soon advanced to the office of Senior Warden. He also transferred his Scottish Rite membership in 1931 to South Bend, Indiana, where he was elevated the 32nd Degree of the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite, by South Bend Consistory. He went to Alpena Michigan in 1941 when he was brought by the Besser Company to set up a manufacturing program for Army tank and naval guns. He remained with that firm as Vice President and Plant Manager. In May of 1956 he was named Executive Vice President of Elastizell Corporation of America, and he served as President. In July 1945 Brother Douglas transferred to Alpena Lodge No. 199 and to Bay City Consistory in August of the same year. He served as Worshipful Master of the Lodge in 1947 and in 1948. Thunder Bay Chapter No. 74 of Alpena conferred the Degrees of Royal Arch Masonry upon him on February 23, 1945. He received the Chivalric Orders of Masonry in Alpena Commandery No. 34. K.T., during March 1945 and served as Eminent Commander from 1949 to 1950 and again from 1951 to 1952. He also petitioned for and received the Shrine in Mizpah Temple of Fort Wayne, Indiana, in October 1936 and transferred to Elf Khurafeh Temple in Saginaw, on September 1947. He received the Degrees in such selective Masonic Honor groups as St. Martin’s Conclave No. 59, Red Cross of Constantine, in Flint, on December 1952 and the Royal Order of Jesters, Court No. 74 in Saginaw, on January 1954. He was also made a member of Alpena Chapter No. 341, Order of the Eastern Star in 1954. He married Helen Martha Moyer while living in South Bend, Indiana. They were blessed with three sons. He was duly elected Most Worshipful Grand Master in May 1957. During his term of office there were 175,234 Masons in 535 lodges in Michigan.
He died on August 30, 1980.