William L. Webber
William L. Webber
Most Worshipful Grand Master, 1874
William L. Webber was born in Ogden in Monroe County, in the State of New York on July 19, 1825. He came to Michigan with his parents in June of 1836. After his mother died in 1845, he began the study of medicine in Milford. He entered the Office of Drs. Foote and Mowry as a student and continued his studies there for two years. In 1848 he opened a private school in Milford, and abandoned the study of medicine for that of law. He was admitted to the Bar in April 1851. He opened his law office in East Saginaw on March 15, 1853. In 1874, he was elected Mayor of Saginaw and in the fall of the same year was elected to the State Senate. He served in the session of 1875. He was for several years a member of the executive board of the Michigan State Horticultural Society. In 1878 he was elected President of the Michigan State Agricultural Society. In 1870 he was appointed the General Solicitor of the Flint & Pere Marquette Railway Company, and also Land Commissioner for the same Company. He, then, resigned all matters connected with his general law practice, to devote himself to the interests of the Company.
He was raised as a Master Mason in Saginaw Lodge, U.D. on August 21, 1855. The Grand Lodge charted this Lodge at its annual session in 1856, as Saginaw Lodge No. 77. It is the mother Lodge of the Saginaw Valley. In 1856, Brother Webber was elected Senior Warden and the next year Master of the Lodge, which position he held for three years. Brother Webber was made a Royal Arch Mason in Washington Chapter, at Flint, and immediately took a demit, and joined with others in a petition to the Grand Chapter for a charter, which was granted to them on January 24, 1864, as Saginaw Valley Chapter, No. 31 R.A.M. Brother Webber was the first High Priest and held that position for three years. He was made a Knight Templar in St. Bernard Commandery, No. 16, and afterwards served as Eminent Commander. He was also a member of the Saginaw Council, No. 20, of Royal and Select Masons. He received the order of High Priesthood at Detroit in the year 1865. Having previously served as Grand King, and as Deputy Grand High Priest, he was elected as Grand High Priest of the Grand Chapter of Michigan in January 1869. Afterwards, in 1873 he was elected Deputy Grand Master, and the next year Grand Master of Masons of the State of Michigan. He also received the 32 from the A.& A.S.R.
He died on October 15, 1901.